In our family, Christmas Eve is all of us together with warm soup, sweet desserts and presents (a few anyway). This rich soup fits right in, and it’s less than 30 mins in the kitchen – more time for presents!
2 cups water
2 tsp. seafood seasoning (I use Old Bay)
4 stalks of finely chopped celery
16 ounces fresh or frozen medium shrimp in shells, thawed
12 oz. can evaporated milk
1 cup milk
1 tsp. black pepper
2 tbsp. all purpose flour
2 tsp. anchovy paste OR 2 anchovies, finely chopped
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven combine the water, seafood seasoning, shrimp, and celery. Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until shrimp shells turn pink and shrimp are opaque.
- Carefully remove shrimp with slotted spoon or tongs, shells may break or begin to fall apart. Be sure to remove all shell pieces. Set shrimp aside on paper towels to cool.
- In a medium bowl whisk together evaporated milk, milk, flour, black pepper and anchovy paste; stir into liquid in Dutch oven. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, peel shrimp. Chop about 2/3 of the shrimp into small chunks. Add chopped shrimp to soup. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through. Ladle into bowls. Top with remaining shrimp.
Experiment with this recipe to make it your family’s own tradition. Here’s a few things to try.
- Add melted butter to make it a bit richer
- Add more black pepper to add a kick
- Add scallops
What did you try? How did you like it?
What are your family traditions on Christmas Eve?
Share and Enjoy